Spotlight: #CatsManila returns after almost a decade




I hope people will appreciate my candor but CATS was the one musical that I never considered to be on my watch list. Why? The story and well the topic was never appealing for me -- I mean who would want to sit through a 3 hour show about cats? Apparently a lot of people since CATS has been revived so many times and is considered the musical that established musicals as a global industry that could equal big blockbuster movies and TV shows.

Not to mention I have a cousin with a severe phobia of the creatures who usually joins me in watching musicals...so yeah, not on my list.

But then again when someones asks you if you want to watch a musical, the answer will always be yes and I found myself sitting at the matinee show on November 10.

PLOT:

Not sure if many people actually know the plot of this musical. It's not just about cats. I was surprised myself that it was actually based on a poetry collection by T.S. Eliot called the Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats which is genius because of how poetry is already lyrical by nature and Andrew Lloyd Webber just had to compose the music that would go along with the verses.

Back to the poetry collection and the musical (which is sort of aligned story wise), the musical is all about the Jellicle cats and as they gather for the Jellicle Ball where the Jellicle Choice is made. (Yes, try saying that ten times fast). The cat chosen for the Jellicle Choice will go to Heaviside Layer and will be reborn in a new Jellicle life.

The musical is mostly then split into three alternating story tracks - - first, introducing Cats vying for the Jellicle Choice and the second is mostly focused on the Jellicle patriarchy, Old Deuteronomy, as he teaches the Cats (and the audience) about the Jellicle cat way of life, the meaning of happiness and of course when he chooses the Cat for the Jellicle choice. The last story track has to do with a notorious cat named Macavity, considered the Napoleon of Cat Crimes who comes and goes to try and disrupt the Jellicle Ball.

When everything is said and done, the Jellicle Choice is made and the fortunate cat is Grizabella, a once glamorous cat who had left the Jellicle cats in her youth, now old and seeks re-acceptance from her family. During the show, the Jellicle cats first shun her but in the end accepts her back and is chosen to be reborn in a new life.

THOUGHTS:

Seeing as this was my first time ever to see this musical, I did my research on the plot as to not be completely lost while watching it. Alas, that had been a futile effort. Now knowing that this was based on a collection poetry, the disconnectedness I felt with the run through of the story is understandable. Webber added music to the already written verses and just jammed them into one show.

The collection of poetry, which I have yet to read, I would surmise was not necessarily interconnected as it was made to be in the musical. Points for ingenuity, but I am a bit particular with stories. If the plot or story isn't great, everything falls apart for me.

But that doesn't mean CATS doesn't have its appeal. As everyone has problem mentioned it, CATS is a visual musical. From the never changing set, to the incredible light show, to the masterful costume and incredible choreography -- CATS truly is a visual spectacle not to miss.

With that in mind there are a few standouts to the company performing CATS in Manila. One such standout is very particular to Filipinos. Keep an attentive ear during the first sone after the intermission. You'll find yourself suddenly with pride and clap along with every single Filipino member of the audience as the lyrics sink in.

Of course another Filipino Pride moment is seeing our very own Joanna Ampil playing Grizabella. Memories is a tough song for anyone but Ampil's performance really tugs at the heartstrings.

Other such standouts are Rum Tum Tugger and Mr. Mistoffelees. Rum Tum Tugger's solo song in Act 1 really gave the musical a bit of a kick (as I was getting lost with the plot by this point) and his engagement of the audience was mesmerizing. (Well CATS has a reputation of breaking the fourth wall so to speak but Rum Tum Tugger's role was commendable when he danced with an audience member).

Now Mr. Mistoffelees doesn't have any lines at all but he makes up for it with his dancing and incredible facial expressions. This was the highlight of Act 2 for me, especially since it comes after one of the biggest letdowns.

When I was reading the plot, I was expecting a lot from Macavity. I was expecting such a grand villain. The buildup to the character was there and by the time the intermission came I was excited to see Macavity in action -- only to be disappointed. The build up was so intense for this character and then it all just came crumbling down with a snap. And suddenly, Macavity's not there (Sorry, had to use it.) But as I said, the disappointed was soon erased due to the incredible Mr. Mistoffelees so I guess that I can forgive a little.

OVERALL:

I'm going to recycle a line from my previous post and say if you're a big musical fan, CATS is surely not something you want to miss. I do believe it is not for everyone. If you're big on the plot or story of a musical, then you might not be as excited for this as other musicals. But if you're a lover of visuals such as costumes, sets and dance -- then do not miss CATS.

I usually end my reviews with the moral of the musical. To be honest, I'm drawing a blank for this one. Since there were basically three of four plots going through the entire musical -- I can't really pinpoint the overall drive.

I guess one such thing that CATS tries to give the audience is the sense of tradition and family. The Jellicle tribe prided themselves in their tradition and in their Jellicle-ness. On such a level that they shun Grizabella for deciding to leave the tribe years prior.

But in the end, no matter what if they face the so called Napoleon Cat of Crime, they all come through because of how they all work together. And even though one cat is different from another, they all accept their difference and band together as all Jellicle Cats can and do.

Details:

CAT, International Tour will be performing at The Theatre at Solaire until December 1. Get your tickets now from TicketWorld!

Run time: Close to 2.5 hours with a 20 minute intermission number. There was a queue for pictures with Old Deuteronomy during the intermission, I'm just not sure if simply lining up is enough to get the photo-op.
Souvenir Program priced at 800, other souvenir programs like shirts, accessories, magnets and headbands are available.
Disclaimer: It's pretty safe to bring children to watch the show. Unless they have a phobia of cats because the actors do move towards the audience frequently.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight: ETO NA! Musikal nAPO! [Original Filipino Musical]

Spotlight: Cheer the Revolting Children in #MatildaTourMNL

Theatre Like Never Before: National Theatre at Home